Sharing national policing information for a safer community

What is the National Police Checking Service?

CrimTrac provides national police checking services for a range of organisations across the country. These services involve checking the police history of potential employees on behalf of employers, such as government agencies, and non-government organisations.

A national police check involves identifying and releasing any relevant police information subject to relevant spent convictions/non-disclosure legislation and/or information release polices.   CrimTrac facilitates about 2.9 million national police checks a year through a decentralised process involving all Australian police services evaluating relevant police records with a view to determining the type and extent of the police information that can be released.

All national police checks must be undertaken with the informed consent of the person being checked, unless the check is mandated by relevant legislation.

The process includes:

How do I obtain a National Police Check?


Please direct all enquiries relating to the National Police Checking Service to

Accredited Agencies

Agencies that have completed the National Police Checking Service accreditation process are listed in the following document:

NPCS Accredited Agency List (PDF 153kb)
NPCS Accredited Agency List (XLS 23kb)


Limitations on accuracy and use of police history information

While every care has been taken by CrimTrac to conduct a search of Police History Information held by Australian Police Agencies that relate to the applicant, the accuracy and quality of this National Police History Check (NPHC) depends on accurate identification of the Applicant (including aliases) according to the information provided in the Application Form and the comprehensiveness of police records.

The release of Police History Information by Australian Police Agencies is subject to relevant spent convictions, non-disclosure legislation or information release policies.

If for any reason you do not agree with the results of your NPHC, please notify the agency that you submitted the check through, so that the NPHC dispute process can be initiated.